Ten Facts About Chen
1. Born 1969 in Zhongshan, China.
2. Attended traditional Chinese calligraphy classes from the age of 12.
3. Arrived in Australia in 1989, aged 19 and settled in Adelaide.
4. Attended University of South Australia and graduated with Honours from the Adelaide School of Art in 1995.
5. Won the highly coveted Samstag award, a scholarship to the Chelsea College of Arts in the UK.
6. Influences include Jean Michel Basquiat, Elizabeth Peyton and Gavin Turk.
7. Works across diverse styles including highly gestural brushwork and gridded compositions.
8. Much of his work explores Chinese Australian identity.
9. Refers to Chinese landscape painting, kung-fu culture, Chinese horoscope and Chinese literature in his work.
10. Proud local resident of Box Hill, excited to welcome the hotel to his vibrant local neighbourhood.
More like this
The Watson | Art
The People have spoke for The Watson award
Partnering up with the Helpmann Academy, supporting emerging creatives, The Watson recently sponsored the Academy’s People's Choice Awards. Abstract artist Jane Skeer was chosen as the winner with her sculpture 'Quiet Square' constructed from VHS reels.