Ten Facts About Chen
1. Born 1969 in Zhongshan, China.
2. Attended traditional Chinese calligraphy classes from the age of 12.
3. Arrived in Australia in 1989, aged 19 and settled in Adelaide.
4. Attended University of South Australia and graduated with Honours from the Adelaide School of Art in 1995.
5. Won the highly coveted Samstag award, a scholarship to the Chelsea College of Arts in the UK.
6. Influences include Jean Michel Basquiat, Elizabeth Peyton and Gavin Turk.
7. Works across diverse styles including highly gestural brushwork and gridded compositions.
8. Much of his work explores Chinese Australian identity.
9. Refers to Chinese landscape painting, kung-fu culture, Chinese horoscope and Chinese literature in his work.
10. Proud local resident of Box Hill, excited to welcome the hotel to his vibrant local neighbourhood.
More like this
The Cullen | The Olsen | The Watson | Art | Go Do
The Arty Side of MIFF
Melbourne International Film Festival has been running for sixty five years this year, and has been a cultural landmark for bringing a broad range of cinema to the once isolated Australian audience. This year, two of the films explore two significant Australian artists who come from completely different backgrounds, but have made their impact on Australian art.