Ten Facts About Chen
1. Born 1969 in Zhongshan, China.
2. Attended traditional Chinese calligraphy classes from the age of 12.
3. Arrived in Australia in 1989, aged 19 and settled in Adelaide.
4. Attended University of South Australia and graduated with Honours from the Adelaide School of Art in 1995.
5. Won the highly coveted Samstag award, a scholarship to the Chelsea College of Arts in the UK.
6. Influences include Jean Michel Basquiat, Elizabeth Peyton and Gavin Turk.
7. Works across diverse styles including highly gestural brushwork and gridded compositions.
8. Much of his work explores Chinese Australian identity.
9. Refers to Chinese landscape painting, kung-fu culture, Chinese horoscope and Chinese literature in his work.
10. Proud local resident of Box Hill, excited to welcome the hotel to his vibrant local neighbourhood.
More like this
The Johnson | Art
The Art Curators Behind The Johnson
We're getting ready to pop the champagne as we count down to Friday 16th September, when doors will open to our latest addition to the family and the first Art Series hotel in Brisbane, The Johnson. Giving you an insight into the artwork selected for the hotel, we're introducing our two key Brisbane-based curators, Sarah Barron and Amy-Clare McCarthy.
The Blackman | Art | Go Do
Nocturnal Animals: A Tom Ford Film
Tom Ford's classic designs and understated style have dominated the fashion industry for years. He mirrors a similar neo-noir aesthetic within his films, highlighted most recently in Nocturnal Animals, cementing himself as a figure to watch in the world of cinema.