Ten Facts About Chen
1. Born 1969 in Zhongshan, China.
2. Attended traditional Chinese calligraphy classes from the age of 12.
3. Arrived in Australia in 1989, aged 19 and settled in Adelaide.
4. Attended University of South Australia and graduated with Honours from the Adelaide School of Art in 1995.
5. Won the highly coveted Samstag award, a scholarship to the Chelsea College of Arts in the UK.
6. Influences include Jean Michel Basquiat, Elizabeth Peyton and Gavin Turk.
7. Works across diverse styles including highly gestural brushwork and gridded compositions.
8. Much of his work explores Chinese Australian identity.
9. Refers to Chinese landscape painting, kung-fu culture, Chinese horoscope and Chinese literature in his work.
10. Proud local resident of Box Hill, excited to welcome the hotel to his vibrant local neighbourhood.
More like this
The Larwill Studio | Art
In Conversation with Fiona Larwill
"David Larwill was a storyteller, a free spirit who had a name for each painting and a nickname for all," (Ken McGregor). Jane O'Neill converses with Fiona Larwill on David's oeuvre of work and the lasting impression it had on those around him.
Art | Q & A
Adults Only: A Candid Conversation on Teenage Boys and Porn
Malthouse Theatre presents Gonzo, by St Martins Youth Arts Centre — a production that dares to lay bare the facts of modern life in the age of instant access to ‘adults-only’ zones. Director Clare Watson shares her insights on the process of working with what some may see as a taboo topic and the need to talk about pornography.