The Johnson: Before & After
THE JOHNSON: BEFORE & AFTER
Sitting on the doorstep of Brisbane’s CBD is our new luxury boutique hotel, The Johnson. Situated in Spring Hill, The Johnson has taken over the old Main Roads Department building. The department operated from the building for 45 years until 2013, when it was sold to be transformed into The Johnson.
Here’s a small snapshot of the building, when it was once the Main Roads Department building:
- Before the building even became their new head office, approximately 540,000 feet of material was removed from the site.
- It was originally the largest reinforced concrete office building in Queensland, standing at 15 stories.
- The building was officially opened on the 6th of November, 1967.
- It was known at the time as the most state-of-the-art workplace with the latest business equipment, including a computer.
- Designed by an Austrian-born immigrant named Dr. Karl Langer, it was later described as a “sculptural landmark”.
- Three days after the Deague family purchased it, it was successfully listed to the Queensland Heritage Register in 2014, not long after its sale.
Win a sleepover in a Studio Suite at The Johnson by snapping a picture of your favourite area of the hotel. Capture the iconic exterior, bright interior, luxurious pool, buzzing Tumbling Stone Restaurant & Bar or anything that catches your eye. Share your image on Instagram tagging #TheJohnson @artserieshotelgroup and we’ll select a winner each week to share the winning image on our Instagram account.
Experience a night of vivid encounters and book a sleepover at The Johnson, located in Spring Hill in the old Department of Main Road’s Heritage building.
More like this
The Olsen | Curated Stay
Create an inspired wedding at The Olsen
The dress, the suit, the hair, the makeup, the invites, the cake – these are only a pinch of what will be taking up your To Do list when it comes to your pre-wedding planning. Avoid becoming the next Bride or Groomzilla and take note of The Olsen’s top tips to creating a drama-free wedding day.